Anhangabaú Valley on gray morning in September 1947, looking south towards Praça da Bandeira.
Rua Alvaro de Carvalho looking down towards Praça da Bandeira in 1947.
Same area in the 1950s after major demolitions had taken place. One can see Teatro de Aluminio (Aluminium Theatre) whose whole structure was imported from the USA and assembled in this vacant lot that had been filled with houses. Margaret Kennedy's 'Constant Nymph' ('De amor também se morre') was the first play staged at the new theatre in May 1952, translated by Maria Jacinta with directions of actress-director Dulcina de Moraes. This area has never actually recovered from the major demolitions of the late 1940s. It became a parking-lot for decades, then a dingy bus terminal.
Aerial view looking at Viaducto do Chá & Avenida 9 de Julho beyond. Sept. 1947.