Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Avenida Sao Joao before 1947

Avenida São João in 1919 was a boulevard resembling Paris of sorts.

Rua de São João circa 1912 with Bijou Salão & Bijou Theatre playing 'O mysterio da ponte de Notre Dame' (Mystère du pont Notre-Dame). Bijou Theatre was inaugurated in 16 November 1907; it was owned by Francisco Serrador & Antonio Gadotti. One can clearly see the Conservatorio Dramatico e Musical up on the same side (the tallest building) inaugurated in 1906 and still standing today (2014). Bijou was destroyed by a big fire in 1914 and in its site.
this is the lower part of Avenida S.João where Vale do Anhangabaú stands today.
This beautiful building was built by Companhia Antarctica housed Cinema Central was demolished in 1947 to make way for a big avenue called Vale do Anhangabú.
Erguido pela Cia. Antarctica, o Cinema Central ocupou o mesmo terreno onde estivera antes o Bijou Theatro (considerado o 1o. cinema da cidade) e o Theatro Politheama. Ambos foram destruídos por um incêndio em 1914. Mais tared, a Antarctica criou o Cassino Antarctica, mais abaixo, aproveitando as instalações de um velho café-concerto. Em 1921 o prédio foi ocupado pela Recebedoria de Rendas ou Collectoria Federal - sendo demolido em 1947 para a remodelação do Vale do Anhangabaú.

same area circa 1933.
same building (on the left) in 1940.

seen from behind... this is how this lower region looked like in the early 1930s.


see more here: https://sampahistorica.wordpress.com/tag/delegacia-fiscal/

https://sampahistorica.wordpress.com/tag/sao-joao/

No comments:

Post a Comment